, a district council of the Urban Land Institute, holds its annual development conference and expo June 6, 2019, 7:30 am to noon, at , 3939 South Figueroa Street in downtown Los Angeles.
This year’s Urban Marketplace explores the important issues and emerging communities shaping Los Angeles-area development. Themed “Planting Seeds for Successful Growth: Developing Opportunities Through Community,” the event opens with two expert panels: one on building community, the other on development and funding trends. Panel one is “Planting Seeds” featuring Claire Fox, Executive Director, Los Angeles Food Policy Council; Kelly Boyer, President, Rose Community Capital; Shoneji Robison, Managing Partner/Co-Owner, Southern Girl Desserts; and Rudy Espinoza, Executive Director, LURN. Panel two is “Developing Opportunity” featuring Larry Kosmont, Chairman and CEO, Kosmont Companies; Sondra Wegner, Managing Director, CIM Group; and Daryl Carter, Chairman and CEO, Avanath Capital Management.
“Urban Marketplace examines the two crucial sides of vibrant communities: creating neighborhood engagement prior to development, and ensuring healthy support for that community after development,” said Urban Marketplace Co-Chair Renee Barot. “This year’s event offers exciting examples of both.”
Following these high-level presentations, Urban Marketplace will break-out to interactive roundtable discussions on L.A.’s hottest development issues and locations.
“Urban Marketplace is one of the most dynamic events produced by ULI Los Angeles. It is where professionals from all sectors exchange the latest knowledge on Los Angeles’ ever-evolving urban fabric,” said Urban Marketplace Co-Chair Shmel C. Graham. “Our motto is ‘make a deal, and make a difference,’ and the connections among participants always lead to productive, new business relationships.”
2019 Roundtables include:
- New Housing Legislation – Reducing Barriers to Urban Infill in California: Elizabeth Camacho, Senior Counsel, Loeb & Loeb; Chris Tourtelotte, Managing Director, Acquisitions & Capital Markets, LaTerra Development.
- Steelcraft – Reinvigorating Downtown Main Streets: Martin Howard, President, Howard CDM; Lisa Kim, Community and Economic Development Director, City of Garden Grove.
- Hank’s Mini-Market – #morethanacornermarket: Kelli Jackson, Owner, Hank’s Market; and Claire Fox, Executive Director, Los Angeles Food Policy Council
- Destination Crenshaw – 1.3 Miles of Art & Culture Celebrating Black LA: Drake Dillard, AIA, NOMAC, Senior Project Manage, Perkins + Will; Joanne Kim, Senior Advisor, LA City Councilmember Marqueece Harris-Dawson
- Ivy Station – Culver City’s Newest Destination: Ryan K. Burton, Vice President, Lowe; Monica Rodriguez, Senior Associate, KFA. LLC
- LA Family Housing – The Campus: Amy S. Cole, MSW/MBA, Senior Director of Permanent Supportive Housing, LA Family Housing; Stephanie Klasky-Gamer, President and CEO, LA Family Housing.
- HATCHspaces: Betting on Bioscience: Howard Kozoff, Partner/Co-Founder, HATCHspaces; Yordanos Gebretatios, Executive Director, LA Bioscience Hub
- Creative Placemaking – Energizing Neighborhood Communities: Shannon Heffernan, Urban Design Director, Studio One Eleven; Alicia Velasco, Community and Economic Development Director, City of Lomita.
- LA Metro – Alternative Mobility Strategies: Frank Ching, Deputy Executive Officer, Operation Programs Countywide Planning & Development, LA Metro; Joshua Schank, PhD, Chief Innovation Officer, Office of Extraordinary Innovation, LA Metro
- City of Bell – Connecting SE Communities to the LA River: Robert Linton, Public Works Manager, City of Bell; Lee Alexanderson, Civil Engineer, LA County Flood Control District
- Prop HHH – How Hard Can Spending 1B Dollars Be? Nick Halaris, President, Metros Capital; Tunua Thrash-Ntuk, Executive Director, LISC
- DTLA Pop Up Connect – Kickstarting New Retail Brands: Nicholas Griffin, Downtown Business Improvement District
- Missing Middle – How Can We Address the Housing Gap? Tim Plasky, Executive Director, BIA LA; Monica Mejia, Director of Housing Development, Linc Housing
- High-Rise Mass Timber – New Code Gamechanger: Mitt Timmers, Associate Principal, John A. Martin Associates
- Public Housing – Changing Face of the Affordable Housing Crisis: Colleen Edwards, Regional Project Manager, Chelsea Investment Corp.; Doug Guthrie, President and CEO, HACLA
- United Way LA – Accelerating Housing Solutions to Bring Everyone Home for Good: Emily Bradley, Senior Program Officer, Homeless Initiatives, United Way of Greater LA; Mike Dennis, Director of Organizing, Everyone In
- West LA Veterans Collective – Supportive Housing Community: Blake Coddington, Senior Program Officer, Homeless Initiatives, United Way of Greater LA; Lori Allgood, Vice President of Development, US VETS
- Communities of Opportunity – Creating a Culture of Connectedness: Kelly Boyer, President, Rose Community Capital
- Opportunity Zones – Equity or Displacement? Sondra Wegner, Managing Director, CIM Group; Javan Agee, CA Deputy Treasurer, Housing and Economic Development, State of California
- The Financial Imperative of Mobility and Real Estate: Mark Arizmendi, Bosch Connected Services; Dylan Jones, AIA, Senior Associate, Gensler Mobility Lab
For more information and to register as an attendee or as a sponsor of ULI-LA Urban Marketplace, visit https://la.uli.org/event/urban-marketplace-2019/.