Full building permits have been issued for the Campus South Multi-Use Facility. Located at 1306 E 61st Street, the new structure will be replacing the site’s existing field house and single-story building at 6047 S. Kimbark Avenue. Demolition permits for that structure were issued in late August of 2021.
Designed by bKL Architecture, the four-story project will provide 323 parking spots, as well as a parking office, a meeting/community room, and support space for the school’s adjacent athletic fields. Rising 51 feet, the structure will be clad with a rhythmic vertical metal panel that provides a texture to the building volume while allowing for natural ventilation for the parking floors. Per UChicago’s website, the massing of the building will provide a transition from the university campus to the residential district south of 61st Street. The color of the materials was chosen to integrate the building into its context, by drawing from the warm natural color of the limestone found in wall panels and accent stones throughout the community.
The primary vehicle entrance and exit will be on the north side of the parcel, aligned with S Kimbark Avenue which is a vacated street. Cars can also access the parking via E 61st Street. The main pedestrian entrance will be an elevator lobby at the northwest corner, aligning with the Rubenstein Forum and Study Hotel.
This project is expected to generate approximately 400 temporary construction jobs over a 10-month period. With Clark Construction as the general contractor, the structure is expected to be completed by Spring 2022.